Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Bless The Village

And thank God for drive-thrus


I could have expected it. There was foreshadowing.
 "Does he feel warm to you? I think he's warm."

It was a rough morning. One of those that starts at 4am with a restless and feverish toddler joining you in bed. You're shuffling through the children's medicine before your eyes have a chance to adjust to the light. 

I couldn't find the syringe and he wanted no part of taking Tylenol from a spoon. So I fought with all I could muster at 4am to get something in him and salvage a couple more hours of rest.

Then the day began. 

I drove through the car line and dropped the older two off at school. A woman stood watch at the cross walk between the two lanes; directing traffic and making sure each student safely made it to the building.

Now my focus was back on the sick one and surviving. 
We drove a block away and swung through our favorite donut shop. As my tires crossed the cable I could hear the bell ding near the window. 
A familiar face greeted me, "good morning!" and soon passed a bag of donut holes into the car for the sickly boy.

This series of events landed me at Starbucks just in time to be part of the morning rush. 
I did wait an embarrassingly long time in the drive thru but I'm proud to say I was not one of the cars blocking lanes of traffic as I sat waiting for overpriced coffee and convenience. 

A cheery voice from the menu on the curb asked, "what can I get started for you today?"

"Just a tall coffee, with two pumps of sugar free vanilla and a little coconut milk." 

That's keto friendly, dairy free and under three dollars. You're welcome.

I'm overwhelmed in the midst of this chaos and inching my way towards the window for the fuel to carry on. 
Once I get there, cool and collected, the barista passes me my coffee with a big smile and a 'have a nice day.' I tell her to do the same and leave my change.

One more stop before I can head home with the kid.

  
The theme of the morning seems to be how much can I get done from the comfort of my car. 

Well, I need a syringe for future, more successful, doses of medicine assuming this fever continues. 

I'm sure they sell them and that's the proper way to go about gaining another syringe ... or maybe you're supposed to have your life in order and not lose the one that accompanies the medicine in the first place.

Anyway ... could I get one at a drive thru? It was worth a try.

I drove up to my usual CVS, humbled myself and when I was greeted, told the woman, "I'm not here for a prescription today." I pled my case and she quickly passed a 5ml syringe through the windows and wished him well with a smile.

I proceeded home, smiling and appreciating all the village had helped me accomplish and with such convenience.





No comments:

Post a Comment