Thursday, May 17, 2018

Instagram - The Highlight Reel

"Comparison is the thief of joy." -Theodore Roosevelt

I believe it.
"Don't compare your behind the scenes to everyone else is highlight reel."
It's good advice.

I'm not sure where credit is due because I've read it on countless letter boards across Instagram and Pinterest now.

My Highlight Reel
And disclaimer - this isn't to address blatant lies, photoshopping or fake accounts.
Just your average highlight reel - such as my Instagram account - And why I wouldn't have it any other way.

There's nothing fake about all the good moments.

The date nights, the delicious meals, the moment - just long enough to capture with a photo, the kids, both clean and well behaved. Post it.
The times you got out of yoga pants and put on a cute outfit or the times you wore yoga pants and actually went to yoga! Share.
That one night, you're winged eyeliner was on point should be commemorated; celebrated. It's not easy! The highlight reel is not a bad thing if we recognize it for what it is.
Comparing ourselves to others and what they want us to see and perceive is the problem. Instead when the real life or "behind the scenes moments" are getting you down look back at your own highlight reel. I often refer back to my posts. I'll scroll through months of good times to remind myself that it's not always so difficult and there are beautiful moments even in the day to day.

When my kids are on my last nerve I'll see the tiny weeds ... errr, flowers ... they give me by the handfuls.
When I don't want to go to Zumba because it's at such an inconvenient time, when I could be doing laundry or I could call it a "rest day" and stay home ... I'll scroll through and recognize all the times my unmotivated-self got up and went to the gym anyway and I'll remember how good I will feel afterward.
I'm reminded of some great, out-of-the-way place, where I had lunch one time and need to get back to.
I recognize it's been waaaay too long since I had a girls night and text my friend to set that up!
When my husband is working long hours and I'm feeling disconnected I see our date nights or the flowers he brought for no reason. I see the good times and know there will be more.
Instagram is a highlight reel but it is also real.

Real moments, the ones that make us happy.
The feel good moments easily forgotten when the tough ones come along.

Instead of letting someone else's gram bring you down let your own lift you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment